Saturday, January 15, 2011

Savory Saturday and a Play

Today was date day with my husband; he found a deal on Goldstar for a play in DC. It was called Magic and was put on by the Washington Stage Guild at a really pretty Methodist Church. I am apparently advertising for both.














Magic was about how some people can believe so completely in something, and how others refuse to see it the same way, such as with magic and it's "opposing" force, science. I liked it, it was very well put on and I hope I can go see them put on another one in a few months, called Red Herring.

On to our savory stuff.

Today, I did another recipe from Cooking Light called Chicken Marsala.
Please don't look at my plates. All the nice white ones are dirty at this exact moment. I think I'll start looking for a nicer set, maybe get rid of some of these hand-me-downs...such as the fantastic blue and green plastic ones you see here. :) Anyway, the recipe itself. Once again, I have to wonder if I didn't put the wrong ingredient in, the recipe calls for dry Marsala wine; I found some in the cooking section with the marinades and stuff, but it was a bit...weird. It didn't combine like the recipe said it would with the other ingredients. I'm going to keep an eye out for other options. The chicken itself was great, so I give that a definite 4 out of 5 stars, with a 2 out of 5 for the sauce.

Chicken Marsala from Cooking Light
1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 (6oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups hot cooked angel hair pasta

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a 1 cup glass measure, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
2. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and garlic powder in a shallow dish; stir well with wisk. Dredge chicken in breadcrumb mixture. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side until done.
3. Microwave wine mixture at HIGH 30 seconds or until slightly thick, stirring once. Arrange chicken over pasts; top with sauce.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, 1/2 cup pasta, and about 2 tablespoons sauce.)
Calories: 361

I bet that chicken would be good with a creamy sauce and some noodles too. Although, I'm sure not as low in calories. Ah well, supposedly you only live once.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. You can usually find Marsala cooking wine in the bottled vinegars & oils section.

    ReplyDelete