Friday, April 22, 2011

LET THERE BE CAKE!!!

I made a cake today! I love to bake but I don't very often, because I love to eat what I bake. This is counterproductive. What I need to do, is adopt several fully grown men and bake for them. They can come over on Sundays and I'll have baked goods for them to take home. Although they are adopted, remember, they are full grown and already take care of themselves. I just supply the baked goods and tell them to get a haircut. Then they go away. This seems like the perfect set-up to me.
CAKE!



Lemon-Poppy Seed Cakefrom Cooking Light Complete Cookbook pg. 164

Cooking Spray
1 tsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 large egg white
1 large egg
1 tbl. grated lemon rind
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbl. poppy seeds
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 cup low fat buttermilk
2/3 cup powdered sugar
4 tsp. fresh lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Coat an 8x4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 teaspoon flour.
3. Beat granulated sugar and butter with a miser at medium speed until well blended (about 4 minutes). Add egg whites and egg, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon rind and vanilla. Lightly spoon 1 2/3 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, begninning and ending with flour mixture.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden pick insterted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Poke holes in the top of cake using a wooden skewer. Combine powerdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; brush over warm cake. Cool completely.
Yield: 12 pieces
Calories: 226
NOM rating: 4 out of 5

This is what I was doing when I should've been finishing some homework for Monday. Or even writing that ten page paper that is due on Tuesday that I haven't started yet. Procrastination, thy name is Lindsey. What can I say? The lure of cake was mightier than the lure of knowledge. I am destined to be a happy, fat, old lady who eats cheese and cake at every meal. I will have many dogs. And a pony, for they please me.

I think it's important for me to note that when I cook, I try my hardest to use every single kitchen utensil I own in the process. Somehow, I am sure this makes the cake/food that much more delicious. But here, I took a picture of the destruction. Actually, two pictures, because the mess takes up both of my kitchen counters. I'm not sure where I got this particular talent, I've never seen either of my grandmothers or my mother create such destruction. I must get it from my Dad. (Haha, I have never seen my dad bake.) Perhaps from my Aunt Lorna
DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!!!

BUT THERE WILL BE CAKE!
.












 I will be in late to work tomorrow, I have a doctor appointment, so I left this note for those of my co-workers who must know where I am and don't think to check my public calendar. 

1 comment:

  1. Where do you find these grown men that take care of themselves?! ;D <3!!! lol The cake looks oober yummo though! And kudos to the kitchen destruction! :P lol

    ReplyDelete