Thursday, February 10, 2011

Coffee and Chicken

I just ignored a call from Tominda so I could write this post; when she sees this she's going to kill me. (Tom, I'm calling right back, I had to do this real quick.)

The choclatella...hidden in a cup.
So, the high point of my day today was escaping the office (which was super boring quiet) and braving the freezing streets of DC with JR to get a bit of coffee/hot chocolate to wake ourselves up. Her office was rather boring quiet today as well. We walked down P Street, one of my favorite places to find things to eat, and went to the crepes place I mentioned before. Remember, I was afraid it had been caught in a fire? Just the upstairs, apparently, as Crepes a Go Go was in business today. JR, being the badass that she is, got a real  coffee thing; I got what is called a Choclatella. It is a hot chocolate mixed with nutella, giving it a delicious hazel nut flavor with the goodness of chocolate. 
J*Rock, with her real coffee. Not for wimps.
JR has been doing cool traveling work things, so today was the first time I had seen her in a while. It's a shame we spent most of the time going, "Oh, geez, it's cold!" The wind, combined with the low temperatures, was pretty horrible when it hit the face. Luckily, the drinks were warm. This is different for me, as I usually crave cold things (for eating and drinking) in the winter and vice versa. I'm a strange one.






The finished product!
I cooked tonight as well! Another Cooking Light recipe, surprise! I post of this now because I've never done a recipe where you stuff meat. (That's what she said.) This one was a chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese, green onions, and bacon. It was pretty good! I do love cheese like no one's business so I was particularly gung-ho for this recipe.






The recipe!
Bacon and Goat Cheese Chicken *From Cooking Light Magazine, Jan/Feb 2011 pg.138* 
4 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons sliced green onions
3 oz. goat cheese
1 bacon strip, cooked and crumbled
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

I do not have a skillet, so I used this dutch oven.
1. Preheat over to 350. Combine sliced green onions, goat cheese, and bacon.
2. Cut a 1-inch wide slit into the thick end of the chicken and carefully cut down to the center of chicken to form a pocket. Divide cheese mixture evenly among pockets.
3. Secure with wooden picks. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil. Add chicken to pan; saute 4 minutes. Turn over. bake at 350 for 12 minutes; let stand 5 minutes.

Calories: 283
NOM Rating: 4 out of 5 noms!

Cook, my pretties, cook!
The finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment